Saturday, April 7, 2012

He will be called...

When I was growing up, as most girls do, I doodled names of my future children in all kinds of print.  Most of these names were just made-up, ones I heard that I liked, or really creative.  When we got pregnant with Spencer, I liked NONE of those names anymore.  Since Jason and I are named the #3 and #1 names of our birth years, we both wanted unique names for our kids.  However they must be easy to pronounce, easy to spell, be strong, not to trendy, and preferably from somewhere in our family.  One of the names I loved after seeing it on my family tree was Ella Grace-but since everyone else thought that was a great name-I mean in Clemson World I was seeing two or three in each magazine I got-this name was x-ed of the list.  We love Spencer's name, even though it is traditionally a male name.  Everyone who hears her name loves it and it fits her.  Spencer is my grandfather's aunts name and we think a surname back on that side.  Her middle name, Reece, was just something we both liked.  We had picked out Cru- a shortened version of my maiden name- for a boy just in case.

So at the beginning of this pregnancy we were thinking if it is a boy, we would use Cru, but we changed the spelling to Crew to make it easier for him in the future.  But we had no middle name.  While both our families had a plethora of male names that were unique-for instance Propus- and we knew these men stood for great character in our families' history, we didn't want our child to curse us in the future for being made fun of at school. I also like my grandfather's name, Edward, but being that the Twilight series is so popular right now and our last name is Hardy-Ed Hardy doesn't work for me!  There were also many J and H names in our families but I personally don't like to have the same initial for the first and last name and we didn't want a J name for our child for fear that the non-J-named children would feel they were left out of the J club that mom and dad were apart of along with a J-named sibling.

So then Jason and I were thinking-lets just come up with a strong middle name to go with Crew that is not necessarily a family name because Spencer's middle name is not from our family.  We went through name sites and books.  But we couldn't find anything we like to go with Crew.  At least as a middle name.  But Jason did not like the idea of calling our child by his middle name so moving Crew to the middle to go with another name didn't work either.  We even went to sites and put in Spencer's name to come up with good sibling names.  That was interesting...but no names showed up in that list that we liked either.

Finally the night before our big ultrasound, we decided to scratch Crew altogether and start with a new family name.  And we both liked it and it represented both of our families.

So our baby's name will be .....
Grayson William Hardy

 Here is my dad reading the names for our families in Virginia.
Grayson is Jason's great-grandfather's name and William is my dad and brother's name.  My brother has already nicknamed him G-Dubb but we shall see how that holds up.

No comments: