Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A little bit of Houston, Toe Make-Over, and Progress

In an effort to blog more, I am just randomly writing my thoughts and happenings down to document our life.  So...

One thing I miss about being in the big city of Houston (besides my friends and our church) was all the different types of restaurants we could choose from within a relatively close proximity to our house.  We like Indian food and there were so many places in Houston to eat delicious Indian food or just pick up fresh naan.  While I haven't tried the one place that was recommended to us here in Savannah, I did find a great Indian grocery store in Pooler that has decent naan(although not fresh) and boondi.

Another favorite place in Houston was Yia Yia Mary's.  It has great Greek food and yummy cheese if you have to wait in the bar area to be seated.  If you are ever in Houston, you should eat at this place.  We also loved the Greek festival in Houston in October and Niko Niko's (this restaurant was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network.)  But back to Yia Yia's.  There are 3 things there I absolutely love-and these dishes are typical staples at most Greek places.  I love their lemon potatoes side dish.  And I HATE lemony things!  I also love Pastichio.  The first time I had this dish was at a little place in Greenville, SC called Never On Sunday.  Look it up if you are ever in that area but as the name states-it is not open on Sunday.  Pastichio is a Greek lasagna and it is super delicious.  But you could share this dish with two other people.  Lastly, the red pepper dip appetizer is AWESOME!!!  And being pregnant I was craving some.  So I googled it hoping to find a copy cat recipe.  I found this blog that had a recipe and decided to make it.  


Roasted Red Pepper Feta Dip
2 medium red bell peppers, stemmed, halved lengthwise, and seeds and white pith removed
2 tablespoons olive oil
juice from half a lemon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
pepper to taste
1 clove of garlic
8 ounces crumbled feta cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)


Heat the broiler to high and arrange a rack in the middle. Place peppers on a baking sheet cut side down, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Broil until blackened and charred, about 15 minutes, rotating the pan as necessary.


Transfer peppers to a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let sit until cool enough to handle, at least 20 minutes. Remove peppers from the bowl, reserving any liquid.  Peel peppers and place in a blender.

(If you need a shortcut, you can use roasted red peppers in the jar.)

Add feta, juice form half a lemon, garlic clove, and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Blend on high until smooth, about 1 minute. Serve with toasted pita wedges pita chips.

I am lazy pregnant and tired of standing on my feet, so I just used the roasted red peppers in the jar and I would recommend not adding the oil if you do it that way because it was more liquidy.  I also used naan bread instead of pita because I don't like the pita at the grocery store here.  It was yummy!  And if I can't go into Houston anytime soon, it makes me feel like I am enjoying an appetizer from there!

Today, I also randomly decided that Spencer needed a pedicure.  When Spencer was born, her feet were larger than the average newborn-as in they wouldn't fit in any of those cute newborn shoes.  They have continued to grow too and since her feet are a little bigger than most 21-almost 22 month olds, I decided she needed big girl toes!  So I grabbed her bumbo-yes she can still sit in it and chooses to many times-and brought her to our bathroom.  I trimmed her toe nails and filed them some and she sat and laughed and enjoyed her girl time.  Then I painted them a bright pink girly summer color.  And dried them with the cool blast on my hairdryer.  She was so excited and promptly went to show her daddy her pretty toes! Here is her first pedicure:



  When she gets old enough, I will take her with me to get her toes done at the nail place that has the little girl pedi chair.  

Finally we have progress on the house.  We kept driving by the lot, at my insistence, and they hadn't done anything.  I just wanted to see some dirt moved or something...So Friday we drove by again hoping but thinking we would just see the same thing...no progress.  But this is what we found:



It is not much but it is something!  I can't wait to see more.

The next exciting thing on this week's list is our OB appointment this Thursday.  Our boy is and has been consistantly measure a month ahead of schedule.  I know the date is not wrong and I passed my glucose test this time on the first try so the doctor ordered another ultrasound just to make sure everything looks okay.  I am not nervous or anything-well maybe.  Just that I am going to be having this huge newborn.  My aunt did say that she didn't have GD with her son and he was 10lbs 12oz.  And she told me my grandmother and her brother were 12 and 13 pounds at birth!  Of course this was during the depression and they were birthed at home so they could have been way over their due dates.  But somewhere in my family is a big baby gene and Grayson may have it in him!  I kinda wanted a small baby-you know those cute 6 pounders-but I don't think it will be happening this go round.  So we will get to see him again on Thursday morning!  Stay tuned...



 

No comments: